Monday, April 27, 2009

Chain of Thoughts

It’s good news that I am thinking after being dormant for a while and yesterday all the conditioned parts of my brain were working overtime into a chain of thoughts. And the source of ignition for these thoughts was none other than ‘Mommy Dearest’! Now that my mother and I have decided that we will talk just twice a week on the phone, the two times we talk are nothing but her seasoning my behavior with her endless advice.

‘Endless’ is an understatement; she has a set of worries about yours truly and his life always that I’d be worried if she isn’t worried about anything at all! So usually I call and after the initial pleasantries, she’d zoom in with her talk and that’ll be GAME, SET and MATCH because all you can do is keep listening to it and hope you won’t be questioned in the end! She’d never shout at me but voicing the same information a zillion times in the 15 minute conversation can be a little too tedious for me to listen.

I called her yesterday, after the initial conversation that revolved mostly about my darling niece I mentioned to her that I had spoken to my sister and that she had bought a new phone! She already knew about the new phone and then she mentioned to me that my sister had been using her old phone for 4 years, she was tired of it and so she wanted a new one! While it sounded like a perfectly genuine reason to me it was bothering her a little. Now that my sister had spent close to 20G on the phone, mother then complained that my sister had to be extra careful with it especially with my niece around (7 months is when kids learn stuff the ‘Humpty Dumpty way’ and so you never leave anything pricey nearby)! I casually mentioned to her that we’d never break a phone or for that matter anything just for the sake of spending big bucks on something much fancier. After having failed miserably to reassure her about how responsible my sister and I were, she asked me a plain question. She said “If you drop a two rupee coin accidently when you are busy with something else, would you pick up the coin or would you leave it for later now that you know where the coin is?”

That was a neat question and I was stumbled with the choices ‘Yes’ or ‘No’! Though the obvious answer should have been ‘Yes’ I really wasn’t sure if I would do that in the first place. To make matters worse I remembered once when I was rushing to work, I was flipping the pockets of my trousers searching for the bike keys and I dropped a 5 rupee coin and I didn’t bother to pick it up until my roommate picked it up later that day to smoke it off! All this thinking was happening while I was on the phone with her and the next few minutes were just me listening to her though I don’t have the slightest clue as to what she was talking!

I put the phone down and then walked into the house, looked around and exclaimed “What a DUMP!” It has been the same ever since my prodigal roomies turned it upside down in the vain search of the elusive rat (just one I was told!). But suddenly the house looked uninhabitable. First the 2 rupee coin, then the house and the enlightenment didn’t halt there. It veered into diverse topics like my expenses rising exponentially and I didn’t have anything left until the end of the month, my time on the TV occupying most of the day (and night!), me going to the gym now history, my guitar to be put on auction at Christie’s and my eating habits turning exactly the way they should not be. I don’t reason out personal stuff like this often but with just one rant my mother decided to put me in order and it worked like a charm (I mean at least the reasoning part).

For my thoughts to see the light of the day I need loads of extra fervor to put them into action but for now I am happy that I have a huge list for the new year’s RESOLUTION (good things start at a good time!). Until then I’d be doing the herculean task of identifying all others aspects of my life that would have to be added to the list. I see a busy year for me!

1 comment:

  1. The chain of thoughts started running inside me either.For that same qn even my answer would have also been yes.

    ReplyDelete